My experience with the Careers Service

by | Mar 5, 2024 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

As a Masters student nearing graduation, the fear of the unknown future often looms large over my head. Before graduating, do you ever feel fear, hesitation and curiosity about the future? Countless questions pop into your mind: Who am I going to be? What career path should I choose? How can I achieve my career plans? What skills do I need to develop or improve? Does my CV look perfect? What can I do if I am nervous about the interview? How to negotiate my payments in the UK? Thankfully, the Careers Service always supported me and provided me with guidance, support, and a roadmap for navigating the daunting world of post-graduate employment. Here I will share some useful information and my experiences by using the Careers Service platform.

1. Career Discovery

One of the initial resources I tapped into at the Careers Service was Career Discovery. Here, I was able to explore current market trends, technological developments, and the skills required in various fields. This insight proved invaluable in shaping my understanding of the job market landscape and helped me pinpoint potential career trajectories that resonated with my interests and abilities.

2. My Skills

In my skills section, I conducted a self-assessment to uncover my strengths and weaknesses. This exercise not only helped me gain a better understanding of my own capabilities but also highlighted areas where I could further develop and enhance my skills to meet the demands of prospective employers.

3. Vacancies

In my search for job opportunities, the Vacancies webpage proved to be a valuable resource. Here, I found a lot of various job listings with detailed information about the company, job title, occupational area, location, and expiry date. This database allowed me to tailor my job search and ensure that I didn’t miss out on any potential opportunities. If you’re wondering about jobs, go through the webpage to immediately to assess your chances.

4. Resources materials

This is the location I typically visit to discover additional information. The Resources segment provides a variety of materials on subjects like creating a CV, preparing for interviews, and receiving career advice. These resources served as a comprehensive guide to navigating the job application process, providing valuable insights and tips to help me present myself in the best possible light to prospective employers. The LinkedIn Academy essentially taught me to build my LinkedIn profile to get a network.

5. Appointments

Lastly, the Appointments feature provided a platform to engage in various events aimed at fostering networking opportunities and expanding my knowledge base in each sector. Furthermore, if you need personalised guidance or advice, the availability of supportive staff members ensures that any career-related questions or concerns are promptly addressed and resolved. From my experience, Jo gave me different approaches to help me find a suitable company which I want to work with.

In conclusion, the Careers Service has been an invaluable resource throughout my journey towards post-graduate employment. From exploring career paths and identifying skills to finding job opportunities and preparing for interviews, the platform has provided me with comprehensive guidance and support. The personalised advice from staff members like Jo further solidified my confidence and equipped me with the necessary tools to navigate the job market effectively. As I step into the working environment, I am filled with a sense of excitement and preparedness, thanks in large part to the unwavering support and resources offered by the Careers Service.

Written by Candice, current MSc Business Analysis and Strategic Management student at AMBS