Emily discusses her career since completing her MA in Gender, Sexuality and Culture

by | Sep 16, 2021 | Alumni/careers, Arts, Languages and Cultures, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Emily now works as a Marketing, Communications and PR Officer where she creates all marketing, internal communications and PR materials for Barnsley College, a Further Education college based in South Yorkshire. She also works as a Freelance Journalist and Community Researcher in her spare time and over the past year, has written several articles for publications, including Tribune, The Morning Star and The Erotic Review.

Emily is currently completing a year-long research project, funded by Heritage Doncaster. The outcome of this project, a documentary film named ‘Until the Fires Go Out’, examines the role of several women in the historic fight for jobs in Doncaster’s pit villages between 1984 and 1993. It will be showcased along with a small display curated by Emily at an exhibition in Doncaster’s Danum Museum in November 2021.

Why did you choose to study your course at Manchester?

“I had heard great things about the Gender, Sexuality and Culture MA. I came to study at the University because there were no other course like it in Manchester or the North West.”

Did you always know that you wanted to do the career you’re in? Did your course or time at Manchester help influence this?

“Not really. I enjoy my current job as I love working with young people, but my real passion is writing and telling stories. Ideally I would like to continue building my journalistic portfolio until I can freelance full time, or continue working with museums on heritage funded projects.”

How did your course set you up for your career path?

“My Dissertation sparked an interest in mid-late 20th century labour movements, with a particular focus on the involvement of women. I continue to be fascinated by this topic and my knowledge of this period of history informs my day-to-day job and my freelance work.

What was the most surprising takeaway from your course that’s helped you in later life?

“There are a LOT of dogs in 17th – 18th century erotica. I wrote an article about this so it is genuinely quite applicable to my career. ”

What advice would you give to a student looking to start your course and/or join the University?

“If you are in need of support with your mental health and wellbeing, try to take a preventative approach – let the University know during enrolment so they can support you from the beginning. This is quite a heavy course and if, like me, you have an unexpected mental health crisis, it can be tricky to get the support you need late in the day (although I’m super grateful for the extensions I received!).”