Aled shares his experience on the PGCE Economics and Business Education

by | May 24, 2022 | Alumni/careers, Education, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Why did you choose to study this Masters course at The University of Manchester?

“This is one of the only universities in the country that offers this course, and I knew that Manchester was well renowned for both employability and teaching standards.”

What were you doing before your MSc? 

“I had recently graduated after studying a BA in Policy, Politics and Economics at the University of Manchester.”

What is the best thing about studying at UoM? 

“The support received from academic staff has been second to none. From going above and beyond to provide support with job applications, to interesting and engaging seminar sessions.”

Have you secured a graduate job?

“Yes, I have! After just 3 months on the course, with support from both my university mentor and school mentor, I was able to secure a teaching job at Seaford College, Petworth, situated in the south of England.”

What made you want to work within this field?

“I love teaching. The role involves doing something different every day, from teacher to doctor, counsellor to stand-up comedian (not a very good one at that..). It is a job with endless variety, and always keeps me on my toes!”

When does this role begin?

“The role begins in September 2022, in line with the new school year.”

What advice would you give to current students looking to secure graduate roles?

“Register for job alerts on career websites. These will allow you to set filters to be alerted whenever a job which fits your criteria becomes available. Also, don’t be disheartened if you don’t get a job right away! The role you want will become available, just be patient and believe in your own ability! “

What advice would you give to those considering studying at UoM?

“Apply to study here!! Everything from the academic support, social and nightlife, to placement and careers opportunities, have been second to none. The dual benefits of studying a fantastic course at a great university in an incredible and lively city like Manchester are simply once in a lifetime. You will not regret it!”