Inspiring future generations through Geography teaching

by | Aug 1, 2022 | Education, Geography and Global Development | 0 comments

We have caught up with Adam Parker, PGCE Secondary Geography alum, who now works as Teacher of Geography and Drama as well as Assistant Housemaster in London.

On your PGCE at Manchester

I wanted to study at The University of Manchester because this is where I studied geography for my undergraduate degree, and I was well aware of the excellent teaching and opportunities that would be available to me. Manchester has an established reputation for postgraduate employment and has many links to schools both locally and regionally.

Before I decided to study for a PGCE at the University of Manchester I was working in theatre in the stage management department. Despite this being a very exciting role, I wanted to have a role which was really beneficial to young people and one which would give me some more personal security. Teaching has always been something which I knew I would enjoy and this, coupled with loving the subject of geography really motivated me to apply for the PGCE at Manchester.Adam Parker, PGCE Secondary Geography alum

On your teaching career to date

I have just finished my third academic year as a teacher and have worked at two schools, St Anne’s Academy in Middleton and Mill Hill International in London. I currently teach the international GCSE and teach international pupils, some on a one-year course and others on a two-year course. I run the school eco club, get involved with bee keeping on site and we have just been awarded the eco schools green flag award. My boarding role involves me living in the boarding house, making sure that the boarders receive excellent pastoral care at all times and that they are well cared for in all aspects of daily life.

I am responsible for developing an exciting and modern curriculum which is inclusive and one which pupils enjoy. I am a single person department so I have a lot of say about what I want to include in my curriculum, and this is very exciting! I run the school eco club, take part in enrichment activities such as local litter picking, and I also run trips and events for boarding. Throughout the day, I am responsible for the pastoral care of pupils and this often involves 1-1 meetings which tracks pupils progress in a multitude of areas ranging from mobile phone screen time to soft skill development. A large part of my role as Assistant Housemaster is being a presence in the house and fostering soft skill development such as leadership, accountability and confidence.