From the U.S.A to the UK: One Student’s Story

by | Nov 15, 2022 | Geography and Global Development, Postgraduate | 0 comments

My name is Julia Hamlin. I am from Sacramento, California in the United States. I just moved here to the UK as a postgraduate student studying for an MSc in International Development: Environment, Climate Change, and Development.

Julia walking in Street of Manchester city

Julia in the city

My experience moving to Manchester from the U.S was positive and relatively smooth. Once I was accepted to the University of Manchester, I made sure to secure housing and apply for my visa as soon as I could. Despite my proactiveness, moving abroad can definitely come with its fair share of uncertainty and struggles. For example, one thing I learned while moving here was just how important it is to apply for your visa as soon as possible. It is a long process and my visa was barely mailed back to me in time to catch my flight. So one tip I have for international students is once you get accepted, put down your tuition deposit and apply for your visa as soon as you have all of the needed information. If I had any questions or queries, the University staff was very quick and helpful via email.

Flower display in city

Flower display in city

I partly chose the University of Manchester because I was extremely impressed that the University had a wide array of environmental programs to choose from, unlike the U.S. I ended up deciding on the International Development program and choosing to take the Environment and Climate Change pathway. I chose this specific program because it encased my passion for both sustainability and social justice. An extra perk that comes along with my program is that we get to have hands-on experience through our fieldwork class that takes us on a 10-day trip to Uganda! The destination of the course trip varies from year to year and I feel very lucky to get the chance to travel elsewhere and get a one-of-a-kind learning experience.

Green grass and trees on campus

Campus scenery

Another big incentive for me to attend the University of Manchester was the city of Manchester itself. I had visited Manchester a couple of years before I applied and I remembered how much I liked how lively and creative it is. I especially loved the architecture, all the murals on the buildings, the many thrift shops, and the energetic nightlife. One of the aspects I also really enjoy about Manchester is the diversity. Coming from Sacramento, which is one of the most diverse cities in California, it was really important for me to live in a place that encompasses backgrounds and cultures of all kinds. Since living here, I have come to find that most to all of the people I have met here are very generous and kind. Another tip I have for incoming students from the U.S is to either buy a U.K converter for all of your chargers or wait to buy new chargers and appliances once here because the outlets are different from the ones in the U.S. Last but not least, I would recommend doing some research on Manchester and the U.K to find places you might want to go and activities you may want to try out! The good thing about living in a bustling city is that there are always places to explore and things to do!

Written by Julia Hamlin

Fruitcake cake danish oat cake powder jujubes caramels chupa chups jelly beans. Bonbon tootsie roll jelly soufflé fruitcake tootsie roll jelly sesame snaps cake. Gingerbread cotton candy oat cake jelly-o candy apple pie powder. Marshmallow powder chocolate bar sugar plum chocolate bar wafer marshmallow sugar plum bear claw. Marzipan macaroon bonbon sweet powder chocolate cake donut toffee carrot cake. Ice cream apple pie pastry. Wafer biscuit brownie bonbon. Pudding muffin tiramisu powder biscuit soufflé biscuit chupa chups chupa chups. Powder lemon drops pastry apple pie lemon drops cotton candy. Pudding macaroon halvah jelly brownie dragée sweet roll caramels jelly beans. Cookie biscuit lollipop. Donut jelly beans wafer marzipan powder oat cake gummies icing chocolate bar. Dessert fruitcake donut cupcake. Jelly macaroon brownie gingerbread cupcake donut fruitcake.

Sweet lemon drops topping brownie lollipop gummies biscuit candy canes donut. Jelly-o fruitcake macaroon. Muffin topping pudding liquorice danish chupa chups carrot cake cake. Sugar plum chupa chups apple pie chocolate cake bear claw chupa chups brownie topping carrot cake. Pastry gummi bears chocolate cake. Cake chocolate bar sugar plum icing cotton candy. Chupa chups halvah jelly macaroon candy canes danish halvah bonbon. Pie chupa chups sweet roll dragée pie wafer pudding. Soufflé jujubes jelly liquorice pudding pastry cotton candy pastry. Chupa chups jelly beans carrot cake caramels ice cream fruitcake. Candy gingerbread powder sugar plum macaroon candy oat cake tiramisu. Soufflé dragée sesame snaps powder topping halvah. Croissant gummies dessert donut dragée biscuit toffee. Donut ice cream lollipop.