Studying Music at The University of Manchester

by | Jan 17, 2023 | Arts, Undergraduate | 0 comments

I’m Maisie, and I am a first year student studying Music at Manchester University. My principle study is Violin and my second study is Viola. The reason why I chose Manchester University for my studies was its brilliant modules within the music course, the facilities and privileges that you receive as a student.

The 3 year course allows me to access the amazing knowledge and skills to become a professional within music. In first year there are some mandatory units in order for everyone to become the same level as everyone else. The modules in first year allow you to learn new skills and get used to the university system. In 2nd year you are allowed to pick any modules that the music department offers that year. This depends on the staff that the university has in the department each year, which means that new modules are offered among the ones that are on the course guides on the university website. If you are interested in taking the performance modules, you will have the opportunity to work with instrumental teachers from the RNCM, Halle orchestra, BBC Philharmonic and so much more. There is a lunchtime concert on Thursdays each week for students to watch for free; the amazing performers also do a masterclass straight after.

My favourite module so far has been Electro-acoustic Sonic Invention. This module has taught me how to write music using technology. I have worked alongside professionals in the field that have had experience in the industry and it has been inspiring to listen to their experience and to listen to their work. I had previous experience in the subject before university having taken it as part of my A-levels – the staff recognise this and allow the students to be very independent with this work.

Manchester is a great city to study in, with many different cultures within the city, which creates a very welcoming feeling. Manchester has diverse opportunities for many different types of music, hence why it’s a great place to start your music career.

Societies in the university are very active. Naturally as a music student, I am part of the music society known as ‘MUMS’. This is a massive society which is student-led, with plenty of opportunities to perform. It is a great place to get to know different people too. The best part about it is that it is very supportive and it allows everyone to join. As part of the society, members get plenty of opportunities to play in professional concerts. With the symphony orchestra there is a rotation with the seats which means that different people get to play in the orchestra and it is not limiting the musicians that join. This is a great place to get to know people from different degrees than your own, which helps you to make great friends.

The Music department is friendly and warm, which is one of my favourite things about the course.