Student Story: Ryan Shares His Experience as a Languages Student

by | Jul 4, 2023 | Languages and Cultures, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Ryan is in his final year as a BA German and Spanish student. Here, he chats to us about his time on the course.

Why did you choose to study your course?

I chose to study German and Spanish at the University of Manchester as throughout my entire studies at high school, languages were my favourite subjects and my highest grades. I have also always had an interest in study and celebration of other cultures. I was also fascinated by the culture of Germany, in Spain especially. The periods in which both countries recuperated from their fascist eras.

Why did you choose to study at The University of Manchester?

The main reason I chose to study at the University of Manchester was the year abroad, as at the time, Manchester had several dozen partner universities – more than many other institutions. Also, for languages degrees there is the option to opt out of literature modules, an option not available at other institutions that I applied for. 

Are you going to or have you completed a study abroad semester/year? 

Yes, I completed my year abroad In the academic year of 2021/2022. For my first semester, I attended the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg from October 2021 to February 2022. I took classes in Creative Writing, Social Studies, History and Spanish language. My studies were unfortunately online due to the ongoing pandemic. But nevertheless, I made many friends and travelled a lot around France, Switzerland, Italy and the South of Germany.

For my second semester, I studied at the Universidad de Almería from to June 2022. I studied Human Rights, German Economics, Spanish Linguistics and World History. I made many friends and travelled around Spain, Portugal, and Italy. Throughout the year I was supported greatly by the University of Manchester. Through contact with my Year Report Supervisor and the Year Abroad Residents office I had regular appointments and check-ins. 

What has been the highlight of your course so far? 

Definitely the year abroad, mainly through the Turing Fund I was able to travel to six countries on my year abroad. I also spend over 4 months in Germany and Spain respectively and improved my languages skills immeasurably.

What is the best thing about living and studying in the city of Manchester?

The people are so friendly, there are so many new places to explore, especially in the centre and the areas around it. Also, Fallowfield is always buzzing and there is never a quiet day. The public transport system is also amazing and efficient, with one student card you can travel around the entire city. There are also amazing transport links to other cities in the UK.

Are you involved in any extracurricular activities?

I am Social Media Secretary of the German Society and Manchester Leftist Action. I have also been involved with the French Society and Criminology Society. I also volunteered to teach Spanish to primary school students in a disadvantaged area of Manchester in my first year.

What are your plans for life after graduation? How do you feel your time at university has helped improve your career prospects?

I think the communicative element of a languages degree is one of the biggest transferable skills, as it gives you the ability to practically speak to anybody about any topic. I think this is one of the most helpful skills I have gained from the degree. I have mentioned this in interviews several times. After university, I’m looking for employment outside of the UK, hopefully in the non-profit or NGO sector.

Is there anything you want to add about your student experience?

The staff and students at the University are fantastic. There are support systems in place for students in need, and there is always mounting pressure for more and more schemes.