An Unforgettable Field Trip to Uganda

by | Jul 18, 2023 | Geography and Global Development, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Welcome future students! As you prepare for your MSc program’s field trip to Uganda, I’m excited to share my unforgettable experience with you. As a previous participant, I can’t wait for you to explore this beautiful country, meet its friendly people, and embrace its magnificent scenery. In this blog post, I’ll provide valuable insights and tips to help you make the most of your field trip to Uganda.

Building Connections with Group Leaders and Interviewees

During the field trip, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with group leaders and interviewees who will be your guides and local experts. Don’t hesitate to strike up a conversation with them during meals or rides. Engaging in personal discussions will provide a deeper understanding of Uganda’s culture, customs, and traditions, making your experience more enriching.

Savouring the Local Cuisine

Traditional Food

Traditional Food

One of the highlights of my trip was the mouth-watering local food. Every meal felt like a buffet with a delightful variety of flavors. I encourage you to try as many traditional dishes as you can. Embrace the culinary adventure and explore the unique flavors that Uganda has to offer.

Packing Snacks for the Journey

Due to the long journeys and unpredictable schedules, it’s wise to pack some snacks for yourself. This way, you won’t have to worry about missing a meal or dealing with hunger during travel. Be prepared, and you’ll be able to fully enjoy every moment of your journey.

Getting a Local SIM Card

Staying connected with your fellow students and group leaders is essential during the trip. Fortunately, you can easily purchase local mobile phone SIM cards at the airport or the mall. Opt for the local cards with roaming plans, as they are more cost-effective than using a UK mobile phone card with overseas roaming.

Rukungiri

Rukungiri

Sunscreen Protection

Uganda’s sunshine can be intense, so be sure to apply sunscreen regularly to prevent sunburn. I witnessed a fellow participant experiencing severe sunburn on their scalp. Protecting your skin from sun damage will ensure a more comfortable and enjoyable trip.

As you embark on this incredible journey to Uganda, you’ll witness breath-taking scenery, encounter diverse wildlife, and immerse yourself in a unique cultural experience. Embrace every moment, from engaging with locals over meals to exploring the stunning landscapes. Your field trip will not only be educational but also personally transformative. I’m confident that this adventure will leave a lasting impact on you, just as it did on me. Enjoy every bit of it, and I wish you an unforgettable and fulfilling field trip in Uganda!

Me in Uganda

Me in Uganda

Written by Lan, current Global Development student at The University of Manchester