A Personal Journey: Studying a Postgraduate degree as an international student

by | Nov 29, 2023 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Deciding to study a postgraduate degree was not an easy choice, especially if it meant studying abroad. Despite living as an international student for most of my life, it still feels like a new adventure every time. There are several reasons why continuing my journey at the University of Manchester was an amazing decision. World ranking and course structure definitely add to the charm, but the one I found the most important is the new home I found here.

One of the biggest challenges as an international student is finding a sense of belonging in a new environment. I found this to be especially important for complex and self-driven postgraduate studies. It’s impossible to thrive and motivate yourself when you feel out of place, with most, if not all, of your support network left behind at home. The idea of being on my own was daunting, even if I had previous experience. I had to find a new place to stay and make it a home. Doing it alone was not easy.

Born in Korea and raised in Malaysia before, I often craved the foods I grew up with. It was my own version of homesickness. Manchester’s cultural diversity provided an unexpected solution. Rusholme with indulgent curry, Chinatown with fantastic Asian dishes, and plenty of Asian supermarkets with the exact ingredients I needed to recreate some of my favourite dishes. There was always something there to give me a taste of home.

The heart of what makes Manchester a truly remarkable place is its people and how friendly and welcoming they are. From the very beginning of my postgraduate journey, I found myself connecting with students from and outside of my course, most of whom were international students like me. The knowledge that I was not alone in my experiences was immensely reassuring, making me feel less like an outsider. Beyond my fellow students, I discovered that the lecturers were exceptionally approachable. It’s easy to fall into self-doubt when you feel like you don’t belong, and I have definitely had my share of being in the deep low. However, the way the lecturers interacted with students, each in their own unique way, displayed a kindness that encouraged me to approach them, ask questions, and engage in conversations. The considerate responses, acknowledgements, and the simple, humane understanding I received did wonders in solidifying my sense of belonging. I no longer feel adrift; I know I am part of the cohort, that I belong, and I will make sure that I reach the end of this journey without regret.

In conclusion, studying for a postgraduate degree as an international student is not simply an academic journey but a personal one. It’s about finding a new place, making it your own, and being part of the community among remarkable people you meet. I took a leap of faith in coming to Manchester, and I found my third home in this diverse and vibrant community to mark another adventure.

Written by Yaelin, current MSc Organisational Psychology student at AMBS