An insight into the Autumn Careers Fair

by | Nov 30, 2023 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

The University of Manchester offers an extensive career service platform, organising events that provide a plethora of opportunities and possibilities for their students. The Autumn Careers Fair, which was held on 24th – 25th October 2023, was a two-day event that was hosted in the grand Whitworth Hall, intended for Humanities and Business students like me. The University welcomed recruiters offering a wide range of positions, from consulting and marketing, to finance and HR, and much more. The Fair not only featured diverse roles, but also well-known companies from many sectors, including retail giants like NEXT, prominent cosmetics brand L’Oréal, esteemed financial institutions such as the Bank of England and Barclays, leading law firms, and renowned consulting agencies. The event was well organised and the Career Service committee did a great job in promoting and managing the event. 

We were given the exciting chance to have face-to-face interactions with organizations and get meaningful insights into their requirements, recruitment process, and overall work culture. I found this experience extremely enriching as I was able to get a clearer understanding of life beyond academia. These interactions were a refreshing change from the daunting process of online applications and cover letters. The fair was filled with enthusiastic students ready to seize their future and unleash their true potential. 

Being an international student, I was exposed to numerous companies based in the UK, offering excellent roles and positions in their graduate schemes. This filled me with a sense of pride for choosing a career in Humanities. I was able to engage with numerous companies and learn more about their different departments, specifically marketing, which was a golden opportunity as an MSc Marketing student. I became aware of their expectations from potential candidates, company culture, and other necessary criteria. These conversations were crucial as they helped me gather knowledge that went beyond the information listed on websites and job portals. This experience helped me recognise what aspects of my resume I needed to highlight and what other qualities I should focus on cultivating. These discussions guided me toward my goals and aspirations. 

This Fair is definitely a must-go event for everyone at The University of Manchester. It was an excellent networking event and I am certain that I have made contacts that will prove to be invaluable in my future. The fair was the perfect bridge between the academic and professional worlds. It showcased that academics may not always be an indicator of success in the real world, but it’s the need to learn, explore, and grow.  

Some tips I had for students planning on attending such career fairs are: make sure you arrive on time, do not hesitate to ask questions to the recruiters and take notes to avoid information overload. Visit all the companies as you never know which company will offer your ideal role. Lastly, do some research on the companies, and don’t forget to enjoy the experience! 

Written by Donna, current MSc Marketing student at AMBS