My First Semester in Manchester

by | Dec 1, 2023 | Education, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Crowds of students, academic responsibilities, campus mazes – the highlights of the first university semester in Manchester. The number of new experiences at the university can be very fascinating and exciting but it can also become stressful and overwhelming as well. Having moved to Manchester a year ago to study, I have some key points to share with you about the first semester.

Fresher’s week

There are lots of different fairs and events happening during this time with loads of students on campus. I used this opportunity to explore the campus, get to know some people and attend events happening at the university and in the city. Keep an eye on the timetable of events on the SU website and get curious about a variety of activities to join.

New friends

Crowds of people on Oxford Road might seem exciting but a bit anxious. It helped me to remember that most of the students are in the same situation as you! So, take a deep breath and talk to your peers. You never know who you can meet on your way. Joining some university societies might be useful – they are a great source of like-minded people and fun, social activities.

Registration

It might be confusing, boring and it might take time… Ask for help any member of staff if you need and make sure you have registered to the university, collected your student card as it will give you access to university facilities. Don’t forget about registering to the local GP and opening a bank account if you need one.

The campus

Join one of our guided tours led by Student Ambassadors or explore it yourself! The campus is huge, and I have taken lots of walks with a cup of brew, getting lost between different university buildings and colourful autumn trees. This might help you navigate quicker through campus when teaching starts! Oh… don’t forget about an umbrella 🙂

Lectures and seminars

The first lectures will be about familiarizing yourself with lecturers and the structure of the course. You will find a lot of information about expectations, skills and assessments in handbooks on Blackboard. My top tip: get the key assessment dates into your calendar and leave enough time to complete them. This will help you feel less stressed.

Your health

All the hustle and bustle of a big city and student social life are awesome and very enjoyable. But eating well, exercising and sleeping enough are vital to keep you going. Taking some time to be with myself and do any activities that stimulate the level of endorphins in my blood helped me recharge my batteries. Remember: it’s okay to feel homesick or lonely time to time and keeping in touch with people who you are close with might ease it a lot.

Making Manchester feel like home

I took my time to decorate my living space with a few plants and drawings, so it looked cosy and practical. You can also wonder around the city, explore cultural, music or sport venues, it’s hidden gems and find your new favourite spot.

Finally, if you need any advice or help, use a wide range of facilities and advice centres available at the Students’ Union and library. But most importantly – enjoy your new start in Manchester!

Written by Marieta, current MEd Psychology of Education student at The University of Manchester