My Journey as an International Postgraduate Student

by | Dec 4, 2023 | Architecture, Planning and Environmental Management, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Had someone told me in school that I would be moving alone to another country in a few years, I would have dismissed it as unimaginable. It takes an incredible amount of courage and determination to leave one’s familiar surroundings, break free from the comfort of routine, and move to a completely foreign nation, where people are unfamiliar and connections are yet to be formed. This narrative, however, is not unique to me; it is shared by several other international students who have embarked on a similar path.

This transformative journey began in 2022 when I decided to follow my aspirations in the UK. What followed was a comprehensive process, demanding thoughtful consideration and extensive research of the courses and universities that aligned with my goals. This stage was essential to me ultimately deciding on MSc Planning, which has full RTPI accreditation and offers a diverse selection of modules. Following the offer from the university, the subsequent tasks unfolded—securing accommodation and the intricate visa procedure. Fortunately, the university-provided accommodation streamlined this aspect of the journey. The next days involved intense packing and making weighty decisions about what to prioritize while relocating my entire existence to another country.

My flight to Manchester was filled with anxiety and uncertainty, questioning whether I had made the right choice and contemplating my future in Manchester. However, these uncertainties dissolved upon arrival as I got to know the city and the university. Transitioning into life as an international student posed unique challenges, especially adapting to the distinct climate, educational system, and culture. Trading the familiar embrace of sunny and tropical monsoon weather for the perpetual drizzle and cold of Manchester also required a wardrobe overhaul—I now find myself layered in clothing like never before.

Engaging with the university became a vital component of my transition process. It began with the freshers’ and societies’ fairs, offering a dynamic introduction to the university’s diverse set of events. These events were crucial in helping me acclimate to university life and gaining a sense of belonging. Immersing myself in these societies not only allowed me to indulge in activities I am passionate about but also helped me form meaningful connections.

The master’s degree here is vastly different from my undergraduate studies. The teaching techniques are different, with greater emphasis on in-depth research and continuous assignments rather than written examinations. The quantity of data required for each project was enormous, which made me feel both excited and nervous. Transitioning to a new educational system has helped me optimize my learning strategies and focus more on active learning.

As an international student, navigating adaptation challenges is demanding, which is compounded by the high expenses of even the most basic utilities. To get through this, I actively leverage the university’s numerous resources, ranging from student discounts, complimentary meals, and coffee to learning materials and financial management tools. This strategic utilization has helped me in relieving some of the financial pressures I encounter.

Embarking on this journey has been a formidable challenge, and the road ahead remains long and uncertain. Yet, amidst the struggles, this journey is undeniably worthwhile. It has propelled me towards independence, driving me to pursue self-sufficiency and assume responsibility for my own life. The challenges have served as catalysts for personal growth, pushing me to confront my limitations, manage time and finances with precision, and recognize the paramount importance of building meaningful connections and support networks. In doing so, this opportunity has opened a realm of possibilities that inspire me to strive for a better, more fulfilling future.

Written by Aparna, current MSc Planning student at The University of Manchester