Embracing the Vibrancy: A journey of transformation as an international student in Manchester

by | Dec 5, 2023 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

I am Sarthak born and brought up in India, and currently pursuing a Masters in Business Analytics at The University of Manchester. I believe studying abroad is not just about textbooks and exams; it’s an immersive experience that can reshape your entire personality. For many, like me, Manchester became more than just a city—it became a catalyst for personal growth, turning an ambivert into an extrovert.

Choosing Manchester for my postgraduate degree was a decision that altered the course of my academic and social life. The city’s diverse culture and welcoming atmosphere provided the perfect backdrop for a holistic student experience.

Balancing academic commitments with a vibrant social life can be challenging, but in Manchester, it seamlessly falls into place. The city offers a perfect blend of classes, assignments, parties, festivals, and exciting day trips to nearby gems like York and Blackpool.

One of the key factors in my transformation is the dynamic academic environment. The University of Manchester is renowned for its world-class education and cutting-edge research. Engaging lectures and thought-provoking discussions are opening new intellectual horizons for me. The diverse international student community enriched class conversations, providing perspectives from all corners of the globe.

However, it isn’t all about the books. Manchester knows how to let loose, and so do I. The city’s nightlife is legendary, and the social scene is alive with energy. From intimate gatherings to pulsating club nights, every evening brings new opportunities to connect with people from diverse backgrounds.

The festival calendar in Manchester is another highlight. Whether it’s the electrifying atmosphere of the Manchester International Festival or the colourful celebration of Diwali, the city embraces cultural diversity with open arms. These festivals became a nostalgic link to home, providing a sense of belonging in this foreign land.

Beyond the city limits, day trips to places like York and Blackpool added a touch of adventure to my academic routine. Exploring historic sites, enjoying the tranquillity of nature, or simply relishing the seaside charm of Blackpool offered much-needed breaks from the rigors of postgraduate studies.

Amidst this whirlwind of activities, I found myself becoming a central figure in the Indian community at the university. My extroverted nature, fuelled by the vibrant atmosphere of Manchester, helped me forge connections with fellow Indian students. From organizing Diwali celebrations to coordinating cultural events, I became a bridge between my roots and the diverse community around me.

In Manchester, I learned the art of balance. Attending classes and acing assignments were essential, but so were the moments of joy, celebration, and exploration. The city’s influence transformed me from a reserved ambivert to a confident extrovert, navigating the complexities of postgraduate life with grace.

As I reflect on my journey, I realize that studying in Manchester is not just an academic pursuit; it is a holistic experience that is shaping my character, broadening my perspectives, and connecting me to a global community. If you’re considering a postgraduate degree as an international student, let Manchester be more than a dot on the map—it could be the transformative chapter you never knew you needed.

Written by Sarthak, current MSc Business Analytics: Operational Research and Risk Analysis student at AMBS