What’s Next? Preparing for Postgraduate Studies

by | Dec 4, 2023 | Education, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Why do I want to become a teacher?

This is a question that I have been asked countless times. The true answer is a feeling that cannot be accurately described by words. As I develop my knowledge and experiences the words for this answer become clearer. My journey in Manchester has been a large contributor to explain a feeling I have had my entire life. Applying for a PGCE has three main components: your drive for teaching, your experiences and your subject knowledge.

BSc (Hons) Education

Beginning with BSc (Hons) Education, the course content has prepared me for not only working in education but challenging my perspective on what learning means. Starting third year, I am on track to graduate with BSc (Hons) Education (Primary and Early Years) as I have been able to specialise using my course’s pathways. My course has supported me with my teaching drive and subject knowledge. Through our meaningful assignments and hardworking, supportive staff, I have expanded my passion for education and have become to comprehend its power. The overall feelings I have gained from my degree is achievement and joy to take my learning into my experiences.

Gaining experiences

From placement opportunities and guest speakers in lectures, I became aware of two charities operating in the North West and beyond. Firstly, I volunteered in my first year with ReachOut, a character building charity. My project was in a primary school where I mentored a year 5 student within a larger group of mentors and mentees. This opened my eyes to a new possibility. All my previous experiences involved secondary school students so mentoring with ReachOut allowed me to see a new side to teaching.

Continuing this new-found love for working in primary school, in my second year, I volunteered for Coram Beanstalk, a reading for pleasure charity. In my sessions, I would read to a pupil and facilitate activities to help the students enjoy the books. The aim was to always help students understand the power of reading. Being placed within the corridor surrounded by classes’ learning, allowed for observations that built on my career ambitions. This experience was a core part of my reasoning to apply for PGCE Primary.

How I applied

To understand the specifics of applying for PGCEs, I utilised Get Into Teaching. I first learned about this organisation from a pop-up stall in Brunswick Park. It began by signing up for a teacher training advisor. Every six weeks, I was contacted to discuss my experiences and help begin build my application for teacher training as early as my first year at university. This has culminated in gaining personalised advice to craft my application using DfE Apply.

In March 2023, I attended the North West Get into Teaching event. This was where all the local providers had stalls and I can explore all the opportunities available to me in the local area. There was a variety of types of providers who passionately explained their courses. When writing my application, this was a vital opportunity that helped me understand where to apply.

Next steps

Overall, the combination of my degree and experiences were supported by Get Into Teaching to send successful PGCE applications. My main piece of advice for apply for a PGCE is to take opportunities given to you as you cannot always predict when your lightbulb moment will be.

Written by Abigale, current BSc Education student at The University of Manchester