Unleashing Potential: Story of Success with UoM’s Career Services

by | Dec 8, 2023 | Education, Postgraduate | 0 comments

As a student at the University of Manchester, I quickly realized that the institution’s commitment to nurturing holistic development extends far beyond the classroom. One invaluable resource that has played a pivotal role in shaping my future is the Career Services at UoM. In this blog, I will take you on a captivating storytelling journey that highlights the range of services provided by Career Services and the transformative impact they had on my personal and professional growth.

My first encounter with the Careers Service was through their drop-in sessions, where I received invaluable guidance on how to use the CareerConnect website, the services offered, and how to book an appointment.

CareerConnect

CareerConnect is an online platform that provides access to a vast array of job postings, internships, and graduate programs. I found CareerConnect to be a highly useful tool for my job search. The platform is user-friendly and provides a wealth of information about job vacancies and employers. Thanks to CareerConnect, I was able to apply for a part-time job as a mentor at Debate Mate, which directly aligns with my master’s program in “MA International Education.”

Discovering the Path

The Career Services at UoM also excel in providing comprehensive guidance on career exploration. Through one-on-one counseling sessions, I engaged in meaningful conversations that allowed me to delve deeper into my interests and aspirations, especially as I shifted my career focus from Media to International Education. I was unsure about the steps I needed to take after graduation, but the Career Services helped me identify my passions, strengths, and potential career paths.

First Day at my Part-time job

First Day at my Part-time job

Crafting a Winning Resume

Crafting a standout resume is key to opening doors in today’s competitive job market. In a virtual one-to-one session, a Career Advisor assisted me in equipping myself with the tools and knowledge to create a compelling resume. They provided personalized feedback and constructive suggestions, ensuring that my resume truly reflected my unique qualities and achievements.

Connecting with Industry Leaders

Recognizing the importance of networking and fostering connections with industry professionals, the UoM’s Career Services team organized insightful workshops, career fairs, and networking events. These events facilitated meaningful interactions between students and potential employers. One event that I particularly enjoyed was the networking event for Master Taught students. It allowed me to gain valuable insights into various industries and expand my professional network.

The Art of Interviewing

While I have not yet utilized the mock interview service, I am aware of its availability. Interviews can be nerve-wracking, but the Career Services team excels at transforming them into opportunities for growth and self-assurance. They empower students with the skills to articulate their strengths, answer challenging questions, and present themselves with confidence.

By utilizing the comprehensive range of services offered by Career Services, I have gained the confidence, skills, and connections necessary to embark on a fulfilling and successful professional journey. I am eternally grateful for the unwavering dedication of the Career Services team, whose passion and expertise have empowered countless students like me to unleash our true potential.

Written by Nehal, current MA International Education student at The University of Manchester