My Experience Studying Economics and Finance

by | Jan 3, 2024 | Academic insight, Sociology, Social Anthropology and Social Statistics | 0 comments

Greetings, I’m Prateek Golani and I come from Delhi, India. I’m a second-year student at The University of Manchester pursuing Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Finance. My academic journey has been quite interesting so far, and I’d like to share some highlights of my experience.

I’ve studied Economics, Business Studies, Math and Accounting in my A-Levels, it was during this time that I discovered my passion for these subjects, and I was determined to continue exploring them in my undergraduate studies. The University of Manchester offered me the perfect opportunity to pursue both economics and finance, allowing me to craft a unique blend of subjects from these disciplines.

However, there are limited choices in the first year in order to help you build a solid foundation, but in years 2 and 3, we gain the freedom to select from a wide range of modules. This flexibility has been fantastic because it enables us to tailor our education to our interests and career goals.

I’d also like to point out how fond I am of the economics faculty, especially Dr. Paul Middleditch. It’s been an absolute honour to attend his lectures in years 1 and 2. The guidance and insights I’ve received from him have been invaluable.

Another module I’m particularly excited about this year is Fintech, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain. We’ve all witnessed this meteoric rise of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies because of which it’s becoming increasingly important to understand these digital assets and the transformative potential of blockchain technology across various industries.

Another aspect that sets The University of Manchester apart is its diverse assessment methods, our course directors and the teaching team have planned and implemented a very diverse set of assessment methods, from essays to group presentations to writing business plans. This makes the degree more interesting as it allows you to learn different yet relevant skills such as academic writing, market research and much more.

Beyond academics, my first year was a whirlwind of experiences. I spent a good amount of my time going around, meeting people, joining societies (there are plenty to choose from!) and sightseeing and I can tell you Manchester is one of the most student-friendly cities, it’s also very diverse and cost-friendly for students since a lot of places have student discounts.

Now, as I embark on my second year, my focus has shifted towards academics and other exciting opportunities such as industrial placements and study abroad programs. Both usually happen after the second year and can provide you with very different yet equally exciting experiences. I’m excited to start applying for industrial placements and summer internships with the help of the university’s Career Connect service.

I want to extend my best wishes to all those considering The University of Manchester for their studies. It’s an exceptional place to learn and grow. I hope to meet many of you in September!

Written by Prateek Golani, second year in BA Economics and Finance