Why You Should Join a Society

by | Jan 4, 2024 | Undergraduate | 0 comments

Societies are the heart of a university – and in the University of Manchester, which is home to over 400 societies, this heart beats fast and bright. When I started university this September, I was full of insecurities, the biggest of them being social insecurity. Societies not only helped me make friends but allowed me to better integrate with university life, get to know the city and make myself more comfortable as an international student.

One of the main reasons to join a society is to find people with the same interests as yours and to do something fun together. This is not only a way to relax from your studies but to bond with people who have the same passion in life. For me, the Photography Society became exactly that. They organize photo walks around and outside Manchester, so we get a chance to wind out, explore the region, do some physical activities, socialize, and of course take some good photos!

Like any other society, the Photography Society organizes socials; it can be anything from a club night to a cosy meetup in the Students’ Union when you just talk and maybe craft something: these socials are my favourite! Socials are some of the funniest extracurricular activities: sometimes life in a new place feels empty, and having regular events with people you know adds more great experiences and emotions to your routine.

Moreover, the Photography Society (and I suspect, other societies as well) gathers job opportunities and offers them to its members. This way you get a chance to, for example, participate in photoshoots for the Fashion Society, to be a photographer at a TEDx event or at a Christmas party. It’s a good addition to your portfolio, it may earn you some money or volunteering experience, and, most importantly, you get to build new connections through these jobs. Finally, being in a society can get you some nice perks such as free or discounted entries to some events.

A society can also help you ground yourself down and feel like you belong in your new place. As an international student, the best I could describe my feelings in the beginning was being an alien among aliens. Even though everyone around you is doing their best to support you and create a friendly environment, the first few weeks at university can still feel the loneliest you’ve ever been. Joining Russian Society was a game changer for me; I was suddenly surrounded by people who spoke my language and shared my values, and some even grew up in the same city as I did. Making friends with people in your culture’s society is easier than anywhere else. Hanging out with Russian-speaking friends helped me find an anchor in my social life and generally made me be braver in socializing because I knew I already had someone so culturally and emotionally close to me. Moreover, meeting people who aren’t native Russian speakers but study Russian at the university was very empowering. It is very heartwarming and comforting to meet people who fell in love with your language and culture and find genuine interest in studying it.

University societies is one of the most important parts of your university experience. They grant you with lifetime friendships, valuable experiences and support and love that is so much needed, no matter if you’re a domestic or an international student.

Written by Maya Dongarova, a 1st year BA Liberal Arts with International Study student