Why I Chose to Study Drama

by | Jan 9, 2024 | Arts, Undergraduate | 0 comments

One thing I knew was that I wanted to use Drama to change the world! And just like that I knew…the University of Manchester is the place for me. But first things first, my name’s Conor and I about to go into my final year of my bachelor’s degree. Starting in freshers, I had quite a few compulsory modules, which honestly added so much structure to my first few weeks. One of the best compulsory modules was Theatre & Performance 1, we looked at so many different plays. TP1 exposed me to so many different ideas, themes and cultures, and really inspired me to open my mind. I loved first year’s Performance Practices 1! It was all about getting up and acting, taking chances and working as a team. It was such an exciting process because we got to work with real-life visiting theatre makers, it made me feel so professional and full of creative spirit. In the first few weeks, the course gives you a lot of chances to settle in, I would suggest you chat with your peer mentor, they will be so excited to help especially during September.

Moving forward second year’s Theatre of Spontaneity was so fun, my class and I got so close because our lecturer was so supportive. Drama at Manchester is ranked Number 1 in the UK, and you can tell! The teaching environment is so welcoming and supportive, it has grown my confidence so much and strengthened my creativity. The Drama department is seriously strong at Manchester, it’s a hub of creativity, excitement and the lecturers put everything into helping your art. As you go through uni, it honestly gets better and better, so stick it out because it’s so worth it. All in all, Drama at Manchester is something special, the lecturers are so reliable and friendly, and I got to know my course mates so quickly because of the exciting classes we did together in the first weeks. I think the most important thing to remember that when you get to university, you have the freedom to do be creative and do anything. But you also have the freedom to not do things too, so don’t feel pressured into anything and make sure you’re comfortable. Everyone’s student experience is unique, so don’t worry if you take longer to settle in or don’t enjoy mainstream activities. Take things slow and enjoy the ride because Manchester provides a great road ahead.

Written by Conor Macleod, a 3rd year BA Drama and English Literature student