Why I Chose to Study Arabic & Business and Management

by | Jan 9, 2024 | Languages and Cultures, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hi! My name is Myra and I’m a fourth-year student studying Modern Language and Business and Management (Arabic). I’m from the North myself and have always loved Manchester. It is a city with a rich heritage, diverse culture and a powerhouse for business, education and research.

The title of my degree is a bit of a mouthful, but I think that it reflects the diverse range of subjects that I get to study. In one day, I can study the economy of China, Syrian theatre, Arabic writing and principles of accountancy. With this joint honours degree, there is typically an even split of core subjects on the language and business side in the first year, with options to develop specialisations as you progress. The university offers a wide range of combinations of subjects to study and that is what made me pick this course. I’d always wanted to study Arabic at university but wanted to combine it with other subjects, and through this degree I was able to further develop my maths, language, English and critical thinking skills. My favourite modules so far have been ‘Introduction to Post Colonial Arabic Literature’, which introduced me to authors and novels I’d never thought of reading before, and ‘Marketing’, which made me look at companies in a critical and analytical way.

I also studied abroad in Morocco in my third year which allowed me to strengthen my skills in Arabic and gain specialised knowledge of the history and culture of North Africa. Arabic is classed as one of the hardest languages for English speakers to learn, however, I believe that if you keep up with the work and utilise the resources provided to you, you can be quite successful.

I think I have had a unique experience with student life: my first year was online, second year I lived in private halls in Manchester, third year was shared accommodation abroad and fourth year is commuting! Even if you are a commuter-student battling Manchester’s torrential downpour in the dark, the student community is so vast and vibrant, that you will have many opportunities to connect with like-minded people through society and local events.

Something that I’m very happy about is the re-opening of Manchester Museum, the collections in there are magnificent and likewise with John Rylands- UoM goes above and beyond with its research and cultural output in many fields, but these are just some of my favourite examples as a student of the Arts.

Stepping into the world of undergraduate studies can seem daunting but here at the University of Manchester the classroom discussions, blended learning, access to primary and secondary resources and student-led activities will bring out the best scholar in you.

Written by Myra Haq, a final year BA Modern Language and Business and Management (Arabic) student