Why I Chose to Study Film Studies

by | Jan 9, 2024 | Arts, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hey! I’m Hayley, a third-year student studying Film and Cultural Studies at the University of Manchester. I choose this course as I was fascinated about filmmaking and production, but also how film can affect different cultures and societies around the world; Manchester allowed me to increase my knowledge on these ideas through a range of modules.

Each year, I have compulsory film modules to do, whether that is practical or theory modules. After that, I have the freedom to choose modules that best suit my interests, as there’s such a wide range of film and cultural modules I can choose from. The teaching staff have an amazing ‘hands on’ approach when it comes to teaching. In our seminars, our teachers get to know us one on one, and this personal touch enhances my understanding of the modules as our teachers explain it to us in a way they know we can understand. The staff at UoM are very approachable and always willing to help.

So far, I’ve really enjoyed the screenwriting module I did in second year. I had never written a script before, but our tutor taught us the basics of scriptwriting and how to find our voice. Everyone in the class were able to choose their own idea for the script, ranging from comedies to thrillers and it was so fun reading everyone’s scripts. I also have really enjoyed my Weimar German Art, Film and Culture Module. We learnt how to analyse art history from this period, as well as short films, to help us understand the political climate of Germany at this time. It was fascinating to see how political statements can be expressed through art and film, as a way of propaganda.

Manchester has a lot to offer for students. Our career services are incredible, with fortnightly emails sent to us with internships and work opportunities that cater for the degree that you do. There’s a wide range of societies you can join, which is a great way to make friends outside of your degree, who are also like minded as you all have the special interest of that society. Outside of university, Manchester is a thriving city filled with museums, parks, and shopping centres so it’s very rare to get bored!

I love the freedom you have at UoM to really indulge in the topics that you are interested, with the wide range of modules you can choose from. I particularly enjoy the bond you get with your lecturers and tutors, to help you feel like you have a great safety net of support around you. It’s very hard to ever feel alone here, with so much you can do at university and outside of it, so I encourage you to have a look at all the societies and events going on at UoM!

Written by Hayley Cregor, a 3rd year BA Film Studies and French student