Why I Chose to Study German and Spanish

by | Jan 9, 2024 | Languages and Cultures, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hi! My name is Zac and I’m currently a second-year student at the University of Manchester, studying German and Spanish BA. I studied German at A-level but decided to start learning Spanish as a beginner at university due to the passion I developed for languages and travel during my time at college.

The language courses at Manchester offer a great balance between language and cultural modules, so you increase your understanding of the country alongside your understanding of the language. A typical week consists of a grammar and translation tutorial and a speaking session, as well as a lecture and seminar for each cultural module you are taking. The huge array of these modules also means you can tailor your degree towards your own interests, whether that may be literature, history, art, or something else. For example my favourite module is about 20th century literature from Latin America. Not only does this module enhance my Spanish skills, as we read a variety of poems, plays and prose in the language, but it also develops my cultural knowledge of the countries where it’s spoken, as it introduces me to a variety of different writers who worked in different countries at different times, each offering their own unique perspective.

Another great thing about studying Spanish at Manchester is their year-abroad scheme. The university has close links with a diverse range of institutions all over Spain and Latin America, such as universities in Cuba, Mexico, and Argentina. There is also the opportunity to work or intern during your year abroad and the university is really helpful during this process, offering support and advice during your research and applications.

One of the many benefits of studying in Manchester is that it is such a diverse city, which is always helpful when learning foreign languages. Whether it’s by meeting some Spanish people on a night out, or by attending one of the events at the Instituto Cervantes, you’ll be sure to have some opportunities to practice your language skills outside of university. Manchester is also just a great city to live in! It offers an amazing food scene, great nightlife, loads of cool shops, some massively underrated museums and galleries, and – of course – the best football team in England, Manchester City.

As an offer-holder, it was attending one of the offer-holder open days which completely convinced me to firm Manchester, so I’d definitely recommend attending one. It’s the perfect opportunity to find out the specifics of your course, see the campus, meet your potential lecturers, and speak to current students about the university and the city itself.

I hope to see you soon!

Written by Zac Mawby, a 2nd year BA German and Spanish student