I’m Ewa and I’m currently a third year Politics, Philosophy & Economics (PPE) student here at the University of Manchester. When applying to university, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to study, but I knew the University of Manchester was my top choice. I loved how many societies it had to offer and coming from an international background, I really liked to see how much of an international community there is. Since I wasn’t sure what I wanted to study, but was always interested in following global issues, PPE stood out to me as it allowed me to study three different disciplines simultaneously while learning more about the causes of global issues.

This was the structure of my degree:

1st year: Advanced Mathematics 1 (compulsory), Advanced Statistics 1 (compulsory), Microeconomics 1 (compulsory), Macroeconomics 1 (compulsory), Introduction to Political Theory (compulsory), Critical Thinking (compulsory), Politics of the Global Economy (optional), Introduction to Ethics (optional)

2nd year: Microeconomics 2 (compulsory), Macroeconomics 2 (compulsory), Econometrics (optional), Essential Enterprise (optional), Creating a Sustainable World: 21st Century Challenges and the Sustainable Development Goals (optional), Formal Logic (optional), Politics by Numbers (optional), Injustice and Resistance (compulsory)

3rd year: Topics in PPE (compulsory), Microeconomics 3 (optional), Macroeconomics 3 (optional), Topics in Development Economics (optional), Topics in Labour Economics (optional), Liberalism & Empire (optional), Dissertation in Economics (optional)

So far, my two favourite modules have been Econometrics and Politics by Numbers. I enjoyed econometrics because it was different from any module than I had done before. Combined with Politics by Numbers, I was taught how data is collected and analysed to judge how effective policies are or could be if implemented. Although these were my two favourite modules, I really enjoyed all my other ones too in which I was able to learn how to argue my points across convincingly and back my points with relevant research.

Apart from academics, I took part in various societies and volunteering opportunities the university had to offer. I highly recommend doing this, because you get to meet so many people you likely wouldn’t have met otherwise that have the same interests as you. It’s an amazing way to make friends and how I made many of mine here at university! I also had an internship in both an NGO and an accountancy firm, as I am still unsure of what I would like to do in the future and gaining insight into different work environments can really help with that.

If I could give any advice, I would say be as proactive as you can. Join societies, try new things, and say yes to as many opportunities as you can! Being here at the University of Manchester has really allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and meet friends I really connect with, while allowing me to develop my interests which I am so grateful for.

By Ewa Dunin-Borkowska, 3rd Year BA PPE student.