Adjusting to University Life as an International Student

by | Jan 16, 2024 | Education, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hi everyone! I’m Bingjie, a third-year international student from BSc Education course. I want to share with you how I adjusted to university life as an international student. Starting university can be both exciting and daunting, especially for those coming from a different country with a different language and culture. It can be quite a challenge! If you’re interested in hearing about how I adjusted to university life, then keep on reading! As an international student at The University of Manchester, I hope that sharing my experiences can be helpful to you.

One of the first hurdles I had to jump was getting used to the academic culture here. The teaching style in the UK is very different compared to what I was used to back at home. My courses are all about education, sociology and other, so the main focus is on learning independently, thinking critically, and digging into a ton of articles mentioned in class discussions. It was pretty intense at first, but with time and practice, I got the hang of organizing my timetable, which you can check out over here. Language can also be a tricky thing for some international students. But don’t worry, the university has got our backs with language support services to help polish up English proficiency and communication skills. I even took part in the SEED study skills sessions, which were a huge help with common academic skills like critical thinking and dissertation writing.

Of course, sticking to such a tight schedule can be a bit dry and tough to keep up with, so I make sure to mix in some fun activities. I’ve been hiking at Greenfield, soaking up the Beatles culture in Liverpool, and chasing Harry Potter magic in York. These trips are a great way to chill out and shake off stress. And hey, these approaches have really helped me hit my study goals – I can see that in my grades! So it’s all about finding the right balance between work and play.

Another big part of the whole university experience is getting to know new people. The university has tons of clubs and societies where you can meet peers with similar interests, which makes it a whole lot easier to make friends. I’m part of the Day-trip club because I love to travel. The club arranges trips to cities near Manchester around Halloween and Easter every term. It’s a real mix of people from different countries, which leads to some pretty interesting conversations. We often end up chatting about food we’ve tried during our travels – I remember one Italian member grumbling about how a so-called ‘authentic’ pizza in Liverpool was actually awful. We also teach each other basic phrases in our languages – like how to say ‘Love’ in Chinese. It’s always a good laugh.

Manchester’s buzzing city life also offers loads of chances to socialize and get a taste of the local culture. Now that it’s Christmas season, the city center is all decked out with festive lights, and there’s this super cute Santa Claus at Peter’s square that’s a big hit. I personally can’t recommend the limited-edition hazelnut hot chocolate in the city center enough – it’s been keeping me warm all winter.

Getting used to life in a new country also means sorting out practical stuff like accommodation and healthcare. One of the coolest things about The University of Manchester is that they’ve got ‘Student Support’|’Taking Care of your wellbeing’ to help everyone with transition. I’ve even reached out to the counsellors here when I was having a hard time adjusting to life in Manchester.

To sum it up, adjusting to university life as an international student can be challenging. But trust me, it’s a ride worth taking. It’s not just about the tough parts, it’s also about the awesome, rewarding bits. With the university’s super supportive vibe, the cool mix of students from everywhere, and loads of resources at your fingertips, it’s really an amazing place to learn, grow, and have a whole lot of fun along the way.

Written by Bingjie, current BSc Education student at The University of Manchester