Beyond Numbers and Prestige: My journey to Manchester

by | Apr 11, 2024 | AMBS, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Growing up amidst the Greek economic crisis, I was quickly introduced to complex terms like unemployment and recession, which soon became the backdrop of my childhood.

Mathematics quickly became the prime means of channelling my natural inclination to persevere in finding solutions to a problem. Eventually, my passion for the subject grew, I started exploring its applications, particularly Finance and Business, which investigates the effects of change relating to every aspect of life.

Embarking on higher education marked a significant milestone, being the first in my family to tread this path. My journey led me to the University of Manchester, a choice driven by more than just academic pursuit.

Why Manchester, you might ask? The allure of the Russell Group’s prestige was just the beginning. For me, it represented not merely a symbol of excellence but a doorway to exceptional opportunities. Manchester’s global fame stems not only from its academic prowess but from its legacy of shaping futures and its role as a beacon of innovation in the UK. This resonated with my entrepreneurial spirit and my belief in constant evolution as a path to staying ahead.

The decision to join Manchester was further influenced by the university’s ethos and values, aligning with my vision of innovation and continuous improvement. Beyond the curriculum, it’s the culture of a university that can truly enrich one’s academic and personal growth. Manchester’s dedication to innovation, its esteemed reputation, and its proactive approach to education and research were pivotal in my choice.

Among the logical reasons for choosing the University of Manchester, there was also an intuitive pull that’s harder to articulate but equally powerful. Walking through the campus for the first time, I felt an immediate sense of belonging. The vibrant student community, the blend of historic and modern architecture, and the palpable energy of innovation and diversity spoke to me on a visceral level.

Lastly, if there is one thing that rewarded me, and I would advise to all students is to look beyond the course content. Consider the ethos, values, and culture of the university. For me, Manchester’s commitment to innovation, its prestigious standing, and its dynamic approach to education and research were key factors in my decision.

To those plotting their academic and professional paths, remember: the university you choose is a reflection of your ambition. If you need guidance on making this critical decision, I’m here. Let’s discuss how Manchester can fit into your larger strategy of power and influence.

If you have any questions about Manchester, whether about courses, student life, or making the transition from abroad, feel free to reach out on Unibuddy. I’m here to share my experience and help you make an informed decision about your academic future. Let’s explore what Manchester has to offer together!

Written by Georgios, current BSc IBFE student at AMBS