Worry or Not to Worry: Wishing I had known these before moving to Manchester

by | Apr 12, 2024 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Moving abroad can be anxious, even scary. Although this is not my first time living abroad as I had lived in the States’ Midwest during high school, it is for sharing a flat with others. There were many thoughts going in my head: “Should I pack some winter clothes, or buy everything new?”; “How to buy SIM Card and open a bank account?”; “Will I get along with my flatmates?”.

Concerns before moving to Manchester

My major concern before moving was the short time frame I had to open a UK bank account once I arrived in Manchester regarding the deadline to set up Direct Debit for University-related payments. I have been told opening a UK bank account can take some time. Yet, I never knew it would be more painstakingly complicated than my home country’s banking system where people can open a bank account on the spot and walk out with a bank book and a debit card within a few hours. Here, it takes around 2 weeks: (1) going to the bank with ID and a bank letter issued by the University and asking to open debit and savings accounts; (2) waiting 3-5 days for separated mails of the debit card and the PIN from the bank.

Snow in Manchester

Regarding packing, I had made the right decisions to (1) bring good-quality winter clothes from home instead of buying everything new here, budget-wise; (2) Asking the employees at cellphone provider shops on Market Street for advice on which SIM Card and package I should have (either pay-as-you-go; or monthly). Also, I have been blessed with having nice flatmates. Although neither of us are on the

same program at Manchester, everyone is helpful and checks up on one another. I still remember one evening when semester one’s final exam season was approaching, all the flatmates were in the kitchen at the same time (rare moment due to having different schedules), and one of us asked: “when are everyone’s exams and will they be online or offline?”.

Things I wished I had known about Manchester prior

Hamilton at Manchester’s Palace Theatre

I have been told it rains a lot in Manchester because of its location in a valley (Pennine Hills). Boy, it sure does – living true to its “rainy city” moniker. Yet, that is one of the charms of the city as it makes me greatly appreciate sunny days with no rains. For me, Manchester is not too congested or too small; and it is close to other major cities, small English towns and hiking spots. So far, my favourite things to do in Manchester are: going to Greater Manchester’s Makers Market; watching plays at Manchester Opera House/Palace Theatre (I snatched reasonable tickets for Hamilton and Rocky Horror Show – their songs are still living in my head rent free).

Tips on student life in Manchester for incoming students

A roast dinner and Guinness

Like any major cities around the world, always be cautious of the surroundings when walking at night. Academic-wise, planning everything ahead and sticking to it is crucial. The University offers a wide range of facilities: libraries (my favourite: the Main Library); meeting rooms (my usual, AMBS); Career Service. Once settled with an open mind and perhaps, buying Railcard for discounted train fares, or signing up for Amazon Prime Student, it is time to explore what the city has to offer, on-and-off-campus: joining the University’s societies and making new friends (I joined barbershop singers); enjoying student discounts and happy hours from the city’s multicultural shops/restaurants (my favourite: trying Guinness pints from different pubs); going to different music gigs.

Written by Somrutai, current MSc Marketing student at AMBS