Navigating University as an International Postgraduate Student

by | Dec 5, 2023 | Architecture, Planning and Environmental Management, Postgraduate | 0 comments

Embarking on a Master’s journey as an international student is akin to setting sail for uncharted territories. It’s an adventure filled with knowledge, growth, and the occasional storm. But with the right map and compass, navigating this voyage can lead to treasures of academic success and personal discovery.

The First Day of Manchester

In September 2023, I finally entered The University of Manchester campus of my dreams. This was my first time to live and study alone in a strange country thousands of miles away. The ancient and charming city made me nervous and excited.

On the first day I came to Manchester City, I couldn’t wait to go to the library and apply for a student card. Unexpectedly, the fatigue from the long-distance flight has not yet recovered, and the temperature in the UK has plummeted. I felt dizzy and sick in the library. I didn’t have any friends or knew anyone at that time, so I felt helpless and overwhelmed. The staff on the side noticed that something was not right about me and hurried over to inquire. I was still holding on and told her, “I’m fine. I just need to take a rest.” However, the next second I actually vomited. I said I was sorry for staining the library floor. The staff on the side kept comforting me and poured me a cup of hot water. Then they took me to their employee lounge and put me on the sofa to rest. At that time, I was so moved that I cried. The first lesson I took at The University of Manchester turned out to be about kindness and caring.

Daily Study Life

As an international master’s student, every day is a challenge to my time management and self-motivation. The way the courses are organized is something I have never experienced before, usually including lectures, workshops and tutorials. Lectures are mainly about teachers instilling knowledge. Each lecture has a different theme, so teachers often invite professors from different fields to provide us with new professional knowledge. Workshops are usually conducted in groups and are a stage for teachers and students to explore new learning methods. Here you can consolidate what you learned in the lecture. Tutorial is a staged review and reflection on the learning process, and it is also an important way for teachers to give feedback to assignments.

During the lessons break, I would share lunch with my classmates from different cultures and discuss various topics from politics to pop culture. These relaxed exchanges often spark learning beyond the classroom.

During my after-school study time, I used to settle down in the library, surrounded by the collision of ideas from all over the world. Academic papers and massive amounts of information come into view, and each piece of information may be a key source of inspiration in the research project.

After School Life

In my extracurricular life, I put social interaction first. Social life is the anchor that can either ground you or weigh you down. Strike a balance. I Immersed myself in campus life, joined clubs, and attended events. I think these activities are not just recreational, they give me the opportunity to communicate with people from all over the world. I can learn more about unique cultures and customs. I enjoy interacting with people and get excited about making new friends.

The knowledge and experience I gained from living and studying here are priceless. In just two months, I have completely adapted to life in Manchester. It is freeing, exciting and warm.

Written by Chen, current MSc Urban Design and International Planning student at The University of Manchester