A glimpse into my first semester at Manchester

by | Dec 11, 2023 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

As the first semester of my MSc Business Analysis and Strategic Management program draws towards its end, I find myself contemplating my initial months here as an international student. Leaving behind family, friends and loved ones and travelling miles away to start a new chapter of life is not easy but the warmth of Manchester makes everything better. Since I first stepped into this city, my heart has been filled with the positivity and vibrancy the place has to offer. Exploring the touristy spots and diverse array of culinary choices has been a fun activity so far. Navigating Postgraduate studies, especially as an international student settling into a new country is challenging. However this semester has given me a valuable lesson in resilience and gratitude, qualities that will surely be a part of me in the days ahead. My experience thus far in my MSc journey at The University of Manchester has been a delightful and fulfilling ride.

The first semester of the program is designed to aid students in acquiring profound understanding of business models, analysis, organisational design, and management as well as provide a broader insight into the comparative and global management issues. The lectures and seminars provided thorough comprehension of how to navigate in the business world and provide concrete analysis of complex business problems. Besides the enriching academic aspects of the program, the semester has been an eventful one as well. Considering the nature of the program and in line with the prospects of the summer client-facing project, the Career Services team also arranged several networking events for us. The events gave us the opportunity to meet alumni, have a chat with them and seek guidance regarding our future career pathways. Besides program specific events, I also got the opportunity to attend the International Scholarship Welcome Celebration event as a Global Futures Scholarship holder from Bangladesh. The event was an excellent opportunity for me to connect with fellow scholars and hear their stories. Being both a Student Ambassador and Student Representative I also got to engage in diverse activities which allowed me to further serve the student community and act as a representative for the university.

Amidst numerous deadlines, last minute presentation preparations and late hour lectures, I have had the privilege to meet remarkable people from all corners of the world and varied walks of life. Surely, interacting and working in groups with a diverse group of people each with their own stories to tell was an enriching experience so far. Despite only being a few months in, I have made some incredible friends who have made Manchester feel like a home away from home. Truly grateful for the memories I made so far and eagerly looking forward to more in the days ahead.

Written by Samiha, current MSc Business Analysis and Strategic Management student at AMBS