Managing the Stress of Student Life

by | Jan 22, 2024 | AMBS, Postgraduate | 0 comments

As a student at The University of Manchester, I’ve had the opportunity to explore a wide range of resources and approaches for dealing with academic and personal issues. In this blog, I’ll provide some insights on the university services that have helped me manage the challenges of student life, as well as the things I did to look after myself.

The quiet study areas and vast collection of books have allowed me to immerse myself in my studies while maintaining a sense of focus and calm. Finding a quiet corner in the library has become a crucial part of my routine for maintaining productivity and managing stress. The study spaces I frequent the most are the Alan Gilbert Learning Space and the Alliance Manchester Business School. During exam periods, AMBS also thoughtfully provides free breakfast for students, and the café in the building offers a variety of food, helping me stay energized and focused on my studies throughout the day. When I feel tired, there are also comfortable and soft sofas available for students to rest and relax.

I am in the postgraduate stage of my studies, with only six months left until graduation, which has led me to start contemplating job-related matter, which has caused me some distress. Fortunately, the University’s Careers Service offers comprehensive services, providing guidance on everything from career planning to resume editing and interview preparation. I underwent a systematic evaluation of my resume through the Careers Service and made detailed modifications based on the targeted suggestions it provided. Currently, I am actively seeking internship opportunities recommended by the Careers Service, preparing to apply for summer internships after graduation. I am also planning to book a face-to-face offline resume assessment to further refine my resume and cover letter. The services offered by the career centre have significantly alleviated the anxiety I had about job searching.

In addition to the assistance provided by the University, I have many self-relief methods when feeling stressed. Since coming to Manchester, I’ve developed a new hobby – watching football matches. The football atmosphere in Manchester is incredibly vibrant, and accompanied by a friend who is a devoted fan, I attended my first live football match at the Etihad Stadium. Since then, I have been deeply captivated. Watching players run freely on the field, passionately cheering for your supported team, and worrying about the tense situations and scores makes watching football a truly charming experience. Every time I finish watching a match, I feel an unprecedented sense of relaxation.

Another way I decompress is by exploring great food with friends. For me, food has the strong power to heal me. As Manchester is an international city, it embraces a fusion of cultures and cuisines. When I feel homesick, I head to China Town to enjoy authentic Chinese cuisine. The traditional Chinese dishes make me feel as if I’ve returned home. I have also had the opportunity to taste foods from different countries in Manchester, such as traditional English brunch, tangy Thai and Vietnamese dishes, Turkish grilled meats, and Spanish seafood paella. It’s worth mentioning that my residence is close to Curry Mile, so I often join friends in savouring Indian curry and naan, which are not only delicious but also generously portioned and budget-friendly. After filling my stomach with these culinary delights, the sense of happiness soars significantly!

Written by Ke, current MSc Accounting student at AMBS