My first semester studying BSc Global Development at Manchester

by | Feb 14, 2024 | Geography and Global Development, Undergraduate | 0 comments

As a first-year student at the University of Manchester studying BSc Global Development, I would like to discuss my first semester on this course as a challenging, inspiring and profound personal growth journey.

First, let’s talk about the curriculum. The BSc Global Development is broad and diverse and comprehensively explores all aspects of global development, from theoretical frameworks to real-world applications. In the first semester, we delve into the fundamentals, history, and current issues of global development, examining key topics such as poverty, inequality, and sustainability. We gain theoretical knowledge of current global development challenges and valuable insights into their practical implications and potential solutions through engaging lectures, immersive case studies and enlightening panel discussions.

The teaching style is also one of the things I love about The University of Manchester. Professors are not only imparting knowledge but also inspiring and guiding our thinking. Their rich teaching methods inspire our creativity and critical thinking. In an open dialogue and inclusive environment, we are encouraged to express our ideas and opinions and to discuss and communicate with fellow students and professors.

I am deeply impressed by the excellent academic atmosphere of the University of Manchester. The University has a wealth of academic resources and advanced research facilities, providing an ideal environment for our learning and growth. We have many opportunities to attend various academic events and lectures, allowing us to interact and share experiences with respected experts and scholars worldwide. This academic exchange and collaboration culture fuels our curiosity, drives our research ambitions, and contributes to our overall academic development and growth.

Regarding personal growth and experience, BSc Global Development has greatly inspired and challenged me. Participating in various social practices and volunteer activities has given me a deeper understanding of the current global development pattern. At the same time, I also exercised my leadership and teamwork skills. Interacting with peers from different cultures has broadened my horizons, enriched my interpersonal skills, and fostered a deep understanding of global diversity and collaboration.

Overall, BSc Global Development at the University of Manchester has provided me with a learning platform full of exploration, inspiration and growth. In the future study and life, I will continue to study hard, continue to grow, and contribute to the realisation of global development goals.

Written by Yi, current BSc Global Development student