My Year Abroad: Preparations and Reflections

by | Mar 8, 2024 | AMBS, Undergraduate | 0 comments

Hello everyone! I study BSc International Management and completed my exchange year at Copenhagen Business School in Denmark – one of the best decisions I have made! Let me tell you a bit about my experience…

My experience of the selection process:

When I joined the University of Manchester, we were given a short introduction into the upcoming exchange year. For the first year, I just focused on working hard in my exams to ensure I achieved my best grade ahead of exchange year applications. At the beginning of second year, we had a couple of exchange meetings with our course leaders, to be introduced to all the current universities that were on offer, the application process, and the timeline for the next year. First things first, was to decide where I wanted to go! For me, I knew I would like to go somewhere in Europe, as although I have been fortunate to travel to many European countries previously, I really wanted the opportunity of living in one of these cities and immersing myself in a different culture. The study abroad team gave us lots of information about each university and the city, but also encouraged us to do lots of further research. Students in older years that had studied abroad previously, had written lots of insightful information for us, which was great in getting a taste of their first-hand experience.

Next, we were required to write an application letter, and rank our choices of universities (I think we put 8 down, but we were made aware that it was very likely we would get one of our top 3 choices). I chose Copenhagen Business School as my number one choice, as I thought Denmark would be a great place to experience living in. Also, CBS is one of the top global business schools, and had great expertise on sustainability which I’m really interested in. The exchange team made a decision regarding where we would be going, based on our application letter and our grades (we all needed at least 50%, but if your chosen university is really popular, grades are an important consideration).

By December of second year, we were told where we would be going, and were connected to any other students also going to that university. Two other girls were going with me, and we all ended up living together which was great! Over the rest of the year, we had some more support meetings, and the study abroad team were there to help with any questions. We had to sort the accommodation and visa ourselves, but were given resources to help with this.

So, the experience itself:

The year I spent in Copenhagen was amazing! It opened up so many opportunities for me and helped develop so many skills. I was meeting people from all over the world, studying with top academics, immersing myself in a new culture, and travelling Scandinavia too. Over the course of the year, I really felt my confidence, communication and independence skills grow due to all the new situations I was in, and the different learning styles of CBS. During my time here, I also worked as a student consultant for a Danish company, which provided me with incredible work experience in an international context.

What next?

After an incredible year, I really wanted to get some work experience before heading back to Manchester for my final year. Whilst I was abroad, I was applying to UK based internships, supported by the UoM career teams, and the CBS career teams. This felt like a great way to get the best of both worlds: study abroad, and then work experience which can lead to a graduate job. I was fortunate to receive an offer as Change Management analyst in an investment bank in London, which I completed over 9 weeks in the summer. I think the year I spent studying abroad was really beneficial in securing my summer internship, as it developed many useful skills for the working world. I could demonstrate my independence and adaptability, and evidence my capabilities working within international teams.

Now I am in my final year, and I look to what’s next, I am most certain that the year abroad experience has really enhanced my employability. Coupled with the broad range of modules I have been able to take through my course, I feel well-prepared and have plentiful great experiences to discuss in job applications.

Written by Sarah, current BSc International Management student at AMBS