Navigating the Pedagogical Landscape: My PGCE Journey

by | Apr 4, 2024 | Education, Postgraduate, teacher training | 0 comments

Let me tell you about my PGCE journey—it’s been a wild ride, full of learning, growth, and plenty of “aha” moments.

Picture this: starting a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) is like stepping into a world where theory meets practice, and classrooms turn into hubs of educational creativity. Looking back, I’m blown away by how much the course content has enriched my teaching experiences.

Right from the get-go, the PGCE curriculum throws you into the deep end of teaching strategies, theories, and reflective practices. We’re talking about diving into topics like educational psychology, curriculum design, and inclusive teaching. It’s like building a rock-solid foundation for your teaching journey.

One of the coolest things about the PGCE journey, is how it seamlessly blends theory with practical applications during teaching placements. I’ve found myself using theories of cognitive development and behaviourism to spice up classroom dynamics. Understanding how students learn and interact with different teaching methods has shaped the way I approach teaching.

The course is set up in a unique way alternating between periods of university days and placement. At placement, you receive hands-on experience, teaching inside the classroom, learning from seasoned professionals, all the tricks of the trade and how they make a difference in the profession. At university, it is a mix of content and theory coupled with trips to local schools and colleges that all perform outstanding results in their respective areas.

One place I especially loved visiting was Loreto College, an incredible sixth-form college that transforms lives every day. I learned a crucial lesson: creativity and differentiation are key in lesson planning. Crafting case studies that speak to students’ interests has been a game-changer. It’s all about recognizing that each student is unique and tailoring our teaching to fit their needs. When designing case studies, we’re prompted to think creatively and critically about what truly captivates and motivates our students. This entails delving into their interests, passions, and curiosities.

Similarly, chats about behaviour for learning at The East Manchester Academy have been eye-opening. Understanding school rules and culture from the students’ perspective has led to better decision-making and improvements in the learning environment.

Oh, and let’s not forget about the incredible guest speakers we’ve had throughout the year. From exam boards to past PGCE students, EAL specialists, and SENCO specialists, they’ve brought diverse perspectives and expertise to the table, enriching our learning journey in ways we never imagined.

And those subject knowledge days? They’ve been a lifesaver! We’ve dived deep into tricky topics and explored effective teaching strategies that have equipped us to tackle even the toughest subjects with confidence. We even participated in an informative and interactive seminar focused on effective strategies for teaching the concepts of cash flow and critical path analysis.

But wait, there’s more! Conferences, y’all. We’ve had the chance to attend some seriously cool ones. Like this one on inclusion where we talked about anti-racism in initial teacher education. It was eye-opening stuff, let me tell you. We also got to geek out about vocal techniques for effective pedagogy, developmental trauma, adverse childhood experiences, the power of music in the classroom, and so much more. Seriously, my brain was buzzing with ideas after each session.

I’m stoked to share that there are more adventures ahead on my PGCE journey. I can’t wait for an upcoming tour at Michaela Community School to soak in their school routines and culture. It’s bound to offer fresh insights and inspire further growth as an educator.

All in all, the PGCE journey isn’t just about becoming a qualified teacher—it’s about embracing creativity, adaptability, and lifelong learning. I’m grateful for the opportunities I’ve had to evolve as an educator, and I’m psyched for the adventures that lie ahead in my teaching career. Here’s to the journey!

Written by Lamis, current PGCE (Secondary) student at The University of Manchester