Trans and Non-Binary Writing Workshops

by | Nov 5, 2019 | English Literature and Creative Writing, Equality and Diversity | 0 comments

One the main aims of this workshop series was to provide a supportive environment for trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming writers from both the trans community in Manchester and within the University to come together to explore questions of creative expression and representation.

Led by Travis Alabanza, a poet and performance artist, the first workshop took place on Wednesday 1st May and was attended both by students from the University and by writers (and those interested in writing) from the broader community; a number of those who attended were members of the LGBT+ Foundation’s non-binary and genderfluid group, They/Them/Us. The workshop was friendly and engaging, and there were a number of extremely positive comments from attendees afterwards.

The second workshop was led by Caspar Heinemann, also a poet, and took place on Thursday 6th June. Heinemann’s workshop included a discussion of an essay by Foucault and readings from work by both Heinemann and other queer poets. When planning the workshops, I thought carefully about questions of representation and diversity, about access and facilities, and about timings that would allow those who work during the day to attend. I am very happy with how the series went overall, and hope to continue to build on the connections I have made during the organization process.

Activity Feedback:

“The writing workshops have been important for me both for my research and on a personal level. Both workshops had me thinking differently about my writing practice – I have been using Travis Alabanza’s automatic writing exercises to help me with my academic writing. Besides this invaluable advice for writing, these workshops have been deeply therapeutic: they enabled me to make connections with the wider LGBT+ community and to explore my questions about gender from a non-pathologising perspective. I’m very grateful to have had the opportunity to participate.”

External Partner(s):

LGBT+ Foundation, They/Them/Us

Project duration:

May 2019