Meet our Career Advisors

by | Oct 14, 2019 | My future | 0 comments

New this year! Our careers team will be offering School based ‘Getting Started’ 15 minute appointments on Tuesdays, 2-4pm, in room WG.21 in the Samuel Alexander Building.  Appointments will be offered on alternate weeks for language and non-language students.

SALC Non – Language Student Appointments

Language Student Appointments

Week

Date

Week

Date

3

Tuesday 8th October

4

Tuesday 15th October

5

Tuesday 22nd October

6

Tuesday 29th October

7

Tuesday 5th November

8

Tuesday 12th November

9

Tuesday 19th November

10

Tuesday 26th November

11

Tuesday 3rd December

12

Tuesday 10th December

These appointments are in addition to help available from the Careers Service,  first floor of University Place, which is open Monday to Friday, all year round (except bank holidays).

Meet our Careers Team:

Louise Sethi, Careers Consultant

I became a careers consultant after a career in the media, which included working in TV, media relations and television regulation.  This prompted me to start-up the Media Club which is for any University of Manchester students interested in a career in broadcasting, publishing, journalism, marketing or PR.  I also have specialist knowledge of Psychometric testing and run workshops for students who are preparing to take a test as part of a job application.  I’m the link Careers Consultant for Religions and Theology, Archaeology, Classics and Ancient History, Art History and Visual Studies, History and Int Disaster Management & Humanitarian Response, and if you’re studying one of these subjects you’re likely to see me at some point during the year.  I’m also the main careers contact for SALC PGT students.  Please feel free to drop me a line any time  louise.sethi@manchester.ac.uk

Top tip:  Even doing just one thing alongside your degree, like volunteering or getting involved in a student society, will add significantly to your time at Manchester! 

Helen Buzdugan, Careers Consultant

Having graduated (some time ago!) with a degree in Russian Studies, I’m now one of the link Careers Consultants for Languages programmes. (So if you are a Languages student and want to get in touch at any time about your career plans, feel free to email me: helen.buzdugan@manchester.ac.uk. NB: I work Mon-Wed). Before finally hitting on my dream job as a university careers consultant I experienced a range of jobs, from teaching English in Japan and Russia to data analytics and publishing, so I especially enjoy supporting students who are exploring options and need some support with figuring out their career direction. I also deliver our LinkedIn Academy, a hands-on training workshop to help students make the most of LinkedIn for career research, networking and job hunting.

Top tip: If you are wondering what sorts of jobs graduates from your subject do, check out the alumni search tool on LinkedIn for career inspiration where you can look at thousands of profiles of UoM graduates. (In the search filters, click on ‘next’ to filter your search by subject of study).

Delia Goodwin, Careers Consultant

I have worked at the Careers Service for 18 years, following a career in teaching and as a careers adviser in high schools and sixth forms. My interests are diverse and include education, the cultural and charity sectors, the media and publishing. One of the main features of my job is being the lead consultant for disability, which enables me to meet and advise students and graduates with disabilities and long term health conditions from all years and subjects. I am the link Careers Consultant for Music and Drama and if you’re studying either of these subjects you’ll likely to see me at some point during the year.  If you’d like to get in touch, please drop me a line at delia.goodwin@manchester.ac.uk.

Top tip: If you’re interested in working in the charity sector, do join our Third Sector Facebook group. 

Sophie Coller

Sophie Coller, Careers Consultant

A relatively new addition to this University, I have 16 years’ experience of delivering careers advice and guidance in a diverse range of environments. My degree was in English Literature and I can well relate to the paradox of choice that studying a non-vocational degree can bring, as such I am always happy to help students who don’t know what they want to do when they graduate. I am the link Careers Consultant for Linguistics and English Language as well as English, American Studies and Creative Writing. I have personal insight into working within the Education and Social Care sectors and recently I have worked to help undergraduate students to find work placements and better understand employer expectations. Please feel free to get in touch at sophie.coller@manchester.ac.uk

Top tip: My top tip would be to take time to understand and be able to communicate the transferable skills that you have gained during your time at University. There are often more than you realise and employers are impressed with individuals who can articulate what they can bring to the workplace.

Jannine Thomas, Employability Consultant

I have more than 5 years’ experience, working with students seeking to secure year-long, professional work placements as part of their degree and am looking forward to extending my knowledge (and experience) to the fields of study in the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures. If you are an Archaeology, Ancient History or Religion & Theology student eligible to undertake a placement from summer 2020, please check out the placement area on Blackboard and email any placement search questions to me at: placements@manchester.ac.uk.

Top Tip: a placement is a great chance to find out more about yourself as a person as well as your future career.

The Careers web page  is a great resource and explains how to book an appointment for careers guidance, applications advice and preparation for a job or postgraduate study interview, e.g. by calling 0161 275 2829 or by dropping in to see them. When you get in touch, a Careers Information Officer will be on hand to help and will make sure you see the most appropriate Careers Consultant.  Because they all have different specialisms, this may not be the person who links with your subject.  Don’t forget, you can use the Careers Service at any point during your degree or within two years of graduating.    

We hope you find the Getting Started appointments helpful, please let us know what you think!