Events Manager: photographic exhibition and launch event
20 days fixed term contract tenable between 17 March to 25 April 2019 (tbc). Salary equivalent to USD 200/day pro rata
We seek to appoint an Events Manager to oversee, plan, manage and coordinate the ‘Everyday Lives and Environmental Change’ photographic exhibition and launch event that will take place in Malé on Thursday 18 April 2019.
This post is funded by the UK Economic and Social Research Council – Department for International Development (ESRC-DfID) research project on Environmental Sustainability, Economic Development and Everyday Livelihoods of Island Communities in the Maldives. This project is led by Professor Uma Kothari from the Global Development Institute, University of Manchester, UK.
The Events Manager will be employed by ENDEVOR and will work directly under Dr Mizna Mohamed. They will report to Professor Uma Kothari.
The closing date for applications is 3 March 2019 and short-listed candidates will be invited for interview at ENDEVOR, Malé, Maldives on 10 March 2019.
The photographic exhibition launch event will include a panel discussion on Everyday Lives and Environmental Change, an exhibition of photographs taken by people from three Maldivian islands depicting their everyday lives and a reception.
This event is jointly organised by Professor Uma Kothari, University of Manchester; Dr Alex Arnall, University of Reading; Dr Mizna Mohamed, ENDEVOR, Maldives; and UNDP, Maldives. It is funded by the UK Economic and Social Research Council.
The event will take place at a venue in Malé on Thursday 18 April 2019 from 4.00 – 6.00p.m. It is anticipated that about 80 people will attend the event.
Terms of Reference
- Work with the project team to ensure the successful management of the event.
- Attend regular meetings to plan and discuss the schedule of work.
- Provide regular updates on progress to the project team.
Prepare and distribute communications materials
- Produce materials, print and digital, to advertise the event.
- Produce banners and posters for display at the event.
- Prepare a one-page flyer about the project, in consultation with the research project team, to distribute at the event to all participants.
Manage invitations to the event
- Prepare a list of invitees in consultation with the UNDP and Research project team.
- Design print and online versions of the invitations, in consultation with UNDP and Research project team, to include the following information: a short note on the research project and photographic exhibition, date and venue of the event and the schedule for the event, logos of all supporting institutions and a photograph from the exhibition.
- Send invitations to all potential attendees and follow up on these via phone, email and social media as appropriate.
- Prepare and maintain updated list of registered attendees.
Plan and manage media presence and coverage
- Ensure media coverage prior to, during and following the event.
- Promote the event in conventional, news and social media, including UNDP media handles.
- Manage the media during the event.
- Appoint a photographer to cover the event.
- Facilitate interviews with the photographers and key participants during the event.
Facilitate the attendance of the local photographers and participants
- Co-ordinate the participation of the local photographers and participants from the three islands including arranging their accommodation and transport.
Venue and event management
- Manage the logistics of the event to include setting up the table and seating layout for the panel discussion and seating arrangements for attendees.
- Ensure all necessary audiovisual equipment is available and set up.
- Organise and manage event catering and refreshments.
- Design and prepare name badges for all participants.
- Arrange banners and posters around the venue.
- Support the production of any necessary materials for the panel discussion.
- Welcome attendees and manage onsite registration.
- Distribute one-page flyer to all participants at the event.
- Prepare and administer a visitor’s sign in and comment book for the launch event and for the period of the exhibition.
- Prepare and administer comments and feedback forms for completion by event participants and for the public who view the exhibition following the launch.
- Work with the research team to prepare the exhibition for display. This will include contributing to: the design and layout of exhibition, preparation of panels and display boards, hanging the exhibition and arranging the boards in the exhibition space.
- Excellent organizational, communication and events management skills.
- Proven prior experience of organising similar events.
- Experience of working with international institutions.
- Fluency in written and spoken English as well as editorial and production capacities in Dhivehi and English.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work to strict deadlines.